What Is The Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI?
The SansAmp Bass Driver Pre-Amp, Tube-Amp Emulator is much more than just a direct box. The SansAmp Bass Driver DI is capable of dialing up big vintage tube tones, bright modern slap sounds, gnarly distortions, and all in between. Three different outputs to drive power amps, recording desks, PA mixers, or simply enhance your current rig. Controls include Presence for definition and upper harmonic content; Blend to combine the proportion of direct signal and SansAmp circuitry; and active EQ specifically tuned for bass with 12dB of cut or boost.
SansAmp Bass Driver DI offers an entire sound spectrum of the most coveted traditional bass amp rigs, from vintage to modern styles.You can also obtain gnarly overdriven sounds that typically require investing in a complex system with multiple rack effects that weren't designed for bass in the first place.
SansAmp Bass Driver DI functions as a pre-amp, a stomp box, and as a direct box. In bypass, SansAmp Bass Driver DI converts the instrument signal to a low impedance balanced output.This prevents signal loss and sound quality deterioration caused by long cable lengths. When you engage the SansAmp Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry via the on-board footswitch, it not only converts the signal, it gives you the sound and responsiveness of a miked-up pro stage rig --direct into a recording console or P.A. system.You can also simultaneously plug straight into a power amp or conventional bass amp.
As with each SansAmp model, the controls are designed to give you the flexibility to customize your own sound. After all, the greatest inspiration comes from having the sound that's right for you.
- As a pre-amp with many bass amps to bypass the tone coloring section of the pre-amp.
- As a Stomp-Box with an amp.
- To drive a power-amp to control on-stage volume with the SansAmp.
- To record direct: Plug directly into the input of a mixer/recorder and use the on-board sounds of the SansAmp.
- PRESENCE: brings out the upper harmonic content and attack. For a smoother high end and for clean settings, decrease to taste.
- DRIVE: adjusts the overall amount of gain and overdrive, similar to when the output section of a tube amp is being pushed.
- BASS & TREBLE: Unlike passive controls that only cut, these active tone controls cut or boost ±12dB from unity gain (12 o’clock). This powerful EQ section effectively reduces the need for a fixed frequency mid control and enables you to achieve an extensive variety of curves -- including a “mid-cut” as well as a “mid-boost.”
- BLEND: allows you to blend the direct instrument signal with SansAmp Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry.
- LEVEL: adjusts the output level of both the 1/4" and XLR outputs.
- INPUT: 1/4-inch 1 megOhm, instrument level. Use as your main input when using a single instrument. Also switches battery power on/off. To avoid battery drain, unplug when unit is not in use.
- PARALLEL OUTPUT: 1/4-inch unbalanced direct output. Instrument
signal passes through, UNeffectd, to the input of your stage amplification system or tuner.
- BALANCED XLR OUTPUT: Balanced low Z output. Sends effected or bypassed signal to mixing console/recorder.
- XLR Output Level Switch: -20dB pad to match the output to equipment with different input level requirements. In the line level (up) position, the output is 0dB. In the instrument level (down) position, the output is -20dB.
- 1/4” OUTPUT: Unbalanced low Z output. Sends effected or bypassed signal to amp rig or power amp.
- 1/4” Output Level Switch: +10dB boost to match the output to equipment with different input level requirements. In the instrument level (up) position, the nominal output is -10dB. In the line level (down) position, the output is 0dB.
- FOOTSWITCH, with corresponding LED indicator: Engages/disengages SansAmp Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry. Active, LED will be on.Tonality and gain structure are affected as determined by the setting of the controls. Delivers effected signal through the XLR Output and 1/4" Output. Inactive, LED will be off. SansAmp Bass Driver DI functions an an active transparent direct box and does not sonically alter the instrument signal.
- PHANTOM & GROUND CONNECT SWITCH: When engaged, the ground connects and unit will accept phantom power through the XLR Output. Disengaged, the ground of your stage system and other interconnected gear is lifted/isolated from the ground of the mixing console.
Detailed descriptions and instructions for use are contained in the included Owner's Manual.
PROTECT YOURSELF: Products purchased through unauthorized websites or dealers may be used or defective. Only products purchased from authorized dealers qualify for Tech 21's One Year Limited Warranty.