From extra special effects manufacturer EarthQuaker Devices comes the Limited-Edition Black Ash Endangered Fuzz Pedal
Limited to only 1,500 units worldwide, Black Ash is a fuzz/overdrive taking cues from the legendary “three-knob” Tone Bender. It uses a highly curated selection of premium components including paper-in-oil capacitors and half-watt carbon composition resistors from EarthQuaker Devices president Jamie Stillman’s personal collection to light a fire under a classic fuzz/drive circuit that delivers an explosive-yet-detailed treble response, a sturdy and articulate midrange, and subterranean bass extension.
The Black Ash’s unique Top control adjusts key frequencies between 2kHz and 10kHz to select how “forward” the guitar sits in a full-band mix and helps to pair this dynamic fuzz Device with different pickup types. At low Top settings, the Black Ash takes on a woody, organic character with a mellow, pleasantly subdued upper harmonic presence. As the Top control is increased, Black Ash gives a stiffer response with a sharper attack that can make humbuckers chime and makes single coils glisten. Other controls include Volume, which offers plenty of output gain above unity, and Fuzz, which adjusts the amount of gain from cooled-off amp-like breakup to scorching fuzz tones.
Black Ash is limited to 1,500 units and is available only from EarthQuaker Devices dealers.
Each Black Ash is guaranteed for life and built one-at-a-time, the hard way, by hand by amateur dendrologists in the arboretum of Akron, Ohio, USA.
Black Ash Endangered Fuzz Specifications:
- Limited to 1,500 units
- Uses rare and irreplaceable components from Jamie Stillman’s personal stash including paper-in-oil capacitors and NOS half-watt carbon composition resistors
- Unique Top control adjusts key frequencies between 2kHz and 10kHz to adjust how “forward” the guitar sits in a full-band mix and helps to pair Black Ash with different pickup types
- Volume control voiced for unity gain around 10 o’clock; lots of output on tap
- Fuzz control adjusts gain from cooled-off amp-like breakup to scorching fuzz
- True bypass
- Silent relay-based switching
- All-analog signal path
- Lifetime guarantee
- Current Draw: 20ma
- Input Impedance: 100K
- Output Impedance: 22K
- Boxed Dimensions: 5.5” x 3.25” x 3.25”
- Out-of-box dimensions: 4.75" x 2.50″ x 2.25″
- Boxed Weight (USA): 1.1 lbs
CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING. WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Cobalt, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.