Much more than just a direct box, the SansAmp Bass Driver DI is capable of dialing up big vintage tube tones, bright modern slap sounds, gnarly distortions, and tons of other tones. Three different outputs to drive power amps, recording desks, PA mixers, or simply enhance your current rig. Controls include Presence for definition and upper harmonic content; Blend to combine the proportion of direct signal and SansAmp circuitry; and active EQ specifically tuned for bass with 12dB of cut or boost.
With the popularity of 5- and 6-string basses going beyond fad status and becoming mainstream, we added a switch to adjust the bass frequency to extend into those lower registers. We also added a mid-range control and a switch to adjust its frequency. The core of the SansAmp Bass Driver and all of its tones remain true to its original design.
For studio and live applications, SansAmp Bass Driver DI is engineered with three outputs: an effected XLR, and effected 1/4", and a parallel, uneffected 1/4". The footswitch activates the Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry. Disengaging the circuitry enables you to use SansAmp Bass Driver DI as a standard active transparent direct box.
- As a pre-amp with many bass amps to bypass the tone coloring section of the pre-amp.
- As a Stomp-Box with an amp.
- To drive a power-amp to control on-stage volume with the SansAmp.
- To record direct: Plug directly into the input of a mixer/recorder and use the on-board sounds of the SansAmp.
- PRESENCE: : brings out the upper harmonic content and attack. For a smoother high end and for clean settings, decrease to taste.
- DRIVE: adjusts the overall amount of gain and overdrive, similar to when the output section of a tube amp is being pushed.
- MID, BASS & TREBLE: are active EQ controls, specifically tuned for bass guitar, that cut or boost +/- 12dB. MID SHIFT switch changes the frequency from 500 Hz (up position) to 1000 Hz. BASS SHIFT switch changes the frequency from 40 Hz (up position) to 80 Hz
to accommodate 5- and 6-string basses that extend into the lower registers.BLEND: allows you to blend the direct instrument signal with SansAmp Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry.
- BLEND controls the ratio of SansAmp Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry and your direct instrument signal. In most cases, you will probably have this set at maximum (100% SansAmp). For certain applications, however, such as an ultra-transparent sound or for use with piezo pickup-equipped instruments, you may want to blend-in the direct signal to achieve your desired sound. While the SansAmp Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry is bypassed when Blend is at minimum, the Mid, Bass, Treble and Level controls remain active.
- LEVEL: adjusts the output level of both the 1/4” and XLR outputs.
- INPUT: 1/4-inch 1 megOhm, instrument level. Use as your main input when using a single instrument. Also switches battery power on/off. To avoid battery drain, unplug when unit is not in use.
- PARALLEL OUTPUT: 1/4-inch unbalanced direct output. Instrument signal passes through, UNeffectd, to the input of your stage amplification system or tuner.
- BALANCED XLR OUTPUT: Balanced low Z output. Sends effected or bypassed signal to mixing console/recorder.
- XLR Output Level Switch: -20dB pad to match the output to equipment with different input level requirements. In the line level (up) position, the output is 0dB. In the instrument level (down) position, the output is -20dB.
- 1/4” OUTPUT: Unbalanced low Z output. Sends effected or bypassed signal to amp rig or power amp.
- 1/4” Output Level Switch: +10dB boost to match the output to equipment with different input level requirements. In the instrument level (up) position, the nominal output is -10dB. In the line level (down) position, the output is 0dB.
- FOOTSWITCH, with corresponding LED indicator: Engages/disengages SansAmp Tube Amplifier Emulation circuitry. Active, LED will be on.Tonality and gain structure are affected as determined by the setting of the controls. Delivers effected signal through the XLR Output and 1/4" Output. Inactive, LED will be off. SansAmp Bass Driver DI functions an an active transparent direct box and does not sonically alter the instrument signal.
- PHANTOM & GROUND CONNECT SWITCH: When engaged, the ground connects and unit will accept phantom power through the XLR Output. Disengaged, the ground of your stage system and other interconnected gear is lifted/isolated from the ground of the mixing console.
- SPEAKER SIMULATION: Speaker simulation is an integral part of the SansAmp Tube Amplifier
Emulation circuitry. It is specifically designed for a smooth, even response as would be achieved by a multiply-miked cabinet --without peaks, valleys, and notches associated with single miking-- and will complement any type of bass speaker cabinet system.
Sample style settings include Bassman®, SVT®, King's X, Slap, Reggae, Crimson. Settings are also included for Chapman Stick and Acoustic guitar
Actual size: 4.75" x 3.75" x 2.0" Weight: 14 oz.
Phantom power operable, or uses optional DC power supply, Tech 21 Model #DC2, or 9V alkaline battery (not included).
Detailed descriptions and instructions for use are contained in the included Owner's Manual.
PROTECT YOURSELF: Products purchased through unauthorized websites or dealers may be used or defective. Only products purchased from authorized dealers qualify for Tech 21's One Year Limited Warranty. (Select Sounds is an authorized dealer.)